What is Pro Motion NG?Pro Motion is a drawing and animation package for pixel art. You can use it to create game graphics, animated GIFs, icons, comics, logos, static images or clip-arts as well as for creating graphics for your web-pages.
The graphics are strictly "indexed". That means every pixel uses a certain entry of a color palette.
The wide range of powerful functions and tools will help you to create animations in short time.
Pro Motion NG focuses on drawing graphics at pixel level and is optimized for work flows in that type of graphic creation.
Professional artists will find useful tools like layering or onion skinning to create smooth animations or to work with multi layer graphics.
You can bring your ideas down to sketches easily. Pro Motion was designed similar to the legendary Deluxe Paint which became very popular on the Amiga computer systems.
To give you a basic overview, here are some features:
- a layer engine that can be used to lay several images/animations upon another supporting merging, layer effects, blending and grouping
- dozens of different painting methods like invert, smoothing, color cycling, shade, brighten and more including optional ordered dithering. You can even define own paint modes with mathematical formulas.
- selection/masking tools to select areas to be modified or to prevent certain areas of being modified.
- multi layer/multi frame edit to copy/paste or transform a selection on multiple selected layers and frames.
- drawing grid to display any box or shape forms like isometric grid
- dozens of drawing tools (lines, curves, polygons, spray can...)
- pixel perfect drawing that removes smeared pixels automatically
- pixel size definition for non square pixels
- different filling methods for color shading
- functions to create tile based textures easily (seamless tiles)
- powerful color palette editor to copy/swap/move single colors or ranges, modify HSL or RGB, web color code support
- gradient engine for linear or individual color groups. Including halftone options to increase the virtual color depth or pattern effects
- animations with different delays between frames, ideal for animated GIFs
- alpha transparency or simple transparency based on a transparent color
- load and save Sprite Sheets (BMP and PNG with animation frames and JSON metadata)
- built in tile map/tile set edit function
- Onion skinning to draw smooth animation steps (also known as onion skinning) or to work with project layers
- anti aliasing
- animated brushes (use a brush which is an animation itself)
- brush container to work with different brushes at the same time
- special functions to help creating graphics for legit computers such as C64 (color constraints)
- brush manipulation (bend, shear, stretch, rotate...)
- 24bit support via JPEG, BMP, TGA, PNG files or the Windows Clipboard
- a simple file format for sprite graphics, usable by game developers
Last modified: 29 January 2023